To provide self-reliant skilled manpower required to meet the challenges in large scale application of biotechnology, research and development in the areas of environment, healthcare and industry for socio-economic improvement
The Department is committed to develop proficient professionals by offering necessitate based curriculum in Biotechnology Engineering areas like plant-, animal-, microbial-, environmental-, nano- biotechnology and computational biology, promoting research and innovation, centre of excellence and to train the students for higher study, life-long learning and societal responsibility. The department is also committed to provide work-ready biotech engineers and entrepreneurs, excellent learning environment to inculcate professional ethics and skills in our students and to provide engineering services to the society.
The Department was started in the year 2006 with Under Graduate Program B.E. in Biotechnology Engineering, with an uptake of 30. The department has recognized as a Research centre in the year 2011 for the students who would like to pursue their higher studies. Department also offers one year postgraduate Diploma in Bioinformatics and Rational Drug Design (Supported by Karnataka Biotechnology and Information Technology Services (KBITs), Government of Karnataka and Department of Biotechnology, Government of India). Department imparts training for students to make them competent, motivated engineers and scientists. The department has well qualified faculty members from varied background in Biotechnology domain. Department has established the state-of-art Bioinformatics facility, Fermentation Technology (supported by KBITs) and Nanobiotechnology (collaboration with Chemical Engineering Department).
- Under Graduate
- B.E. Biotechnology (4 Years)
- Research Programme
- M.Sc Engg in – Biotechnology (2 Years)
- Ph.D in – Biotechnology
- Biotechnology Finishing School ( PG-Diploma )
- Bioinformatics and Rational Drug Design (1 Year)
- 2006 – B.E. Biotechnology program started under Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belgaum, with an intake of 30 students.
- 2008 – Autonomous under VTU
- 2009 – Recognized as research center by VTU, Belgaum – M.Sc (Engg) and Ph.D.
- 2011 – Starting of BT-Finishing School in the Department. The Government has sanctioned Rs.1 crore.
- 2011 – MoU Sign with 10 leading Biotech companies.
- 2014 – Starting of HPLC and Fermenter training for Biocon academy students (5 Days Hands on Training).
- 2015 – Achieved 100% Placement.
- 2015 – Department has established the state – of – art Nanobiotechnology Lab (collaboration with Chemical Engineering Department).