Dr. SUDHIR H. RANGANATH
Assistant Professor and Director
Laboratory for Biomedical Innovations via Engineering & NanoTechnology (Bio–INvENT Lab)
Department of Chemical Engineering
Contact No: +91-9901699216 (Mobile); +91-816-2214038 (Office)
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=QDQKKbAAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Dr. Sudhir Ranganath is an Assistant Professor at SIT, Tumkur in the Department of Chemical Engineering. He is also the director of the Laboratory for Biomedical Innovations via Engineering and NanoTechnology (Bio-INvENT Lab) at SIT. He was an IUSSTF Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Harvard University and MIT, USA & JNCASR, India. He was also a Singapore Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) Research Fellow. He received his B.E in Chemical Engineering from Bangalore University, M.S., & Ph.D., in Chemical Engineering from the National University of Singapore (NUS). His research interests are at the interface of chemical engineering, nanotechnology, biomaterials, biology and medicine. He has published over 14 international high impact research articles in the area of bioengineering and drug delivery. He regularly delivers scientific lectures at premier academic institutes. He has also served as a resource person in DST-sponsored INSPIRE programs, National Science Day and loves to motivate students to take up scientific research as a career. He is a member of the Society for Biomaterials, USA and a reviewer for Journal of Materials Chemistry B and RSC Advances journal both published by the Royal Society of Chemistry, London. His awards include “Certificate of Innovation” from Harvard Medical School and BWH, USA, Indo-US Science & Technology Forum (IUSSTF) postdoctoral fellowship, BMRC fellowship Singapore and NUS Research scholarship, Singapore.
||2010 – 2014
||Harvard-MIT & BWH, USA and JNCASR, India
||2006 – 2010
||National University of Singapore
||2003 – 2005
||National University of Singapore
||1995 – 1999
||Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
||2014 till date
||Teaching & Research
|Director & Principal Investigator
||Bio-INvENT Lab, SIT Tumkur
||2014 till date
|IUSSTF Postdoctoral Fellow
||Harvard-MIT HST, BWH, USA JNCASR, India
||2010 to 2014
|BMRC Research Fellow
||National University of Singapore
||2009 to 2010
||National University of Singapore
||2006 to 2010
|Projects Engineer (Piping)
||PEC Pte Ltd, Singapore
||2005 to 2006
||National University of Singapore
||Grasim Industries, India
|Production Engineer Trainee
||RS Starch & Chemicals Ltd, India
||Name of the Investigator
||Title of the Project
||Amount in Rs
||Dr. Sudhir Ranganath
|Ocular Drug Delivery & Biosensing
||Rs. 50 Lakhs
||Dr. Sudhir Ranganath
|Stem Cell Bioengineering via Intracellular Controlled Release
||Rs. 13 Lakhs
||TEQIP – II
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
- Cell-based, cell-derived and cell-inspired targeted drug delivery systems
- Nanoparticle-cell interaction for rational design of drug delivery system
- Ocular drug delivery and Biosensing, Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Computational simulation and modelling of transport in biological systems
- Small molecule-based bioengineering and particle engineering of stem cells
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell-based therapeutics, cancer treatment and immunomodulation
- Cell microencapsulation systems & mass transport modelling of therapeutic protein
- Development of biomaterial-based micron/submicron/nanoscale drug/protein delivery implants
- ElectrohydrodynamicAtomization (EHDA) and Electrospinning
HONORS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- “Certificate of Innovation” from Partners Healthcare, Harvard Medical School, USA (May 2017)
- Best Project Award, Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, Bangalore Regional Chapter (May 2017)
- Session Chair at the International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Singapore (Dec 2016)
- DBT Travel Grant to attend International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, Singapore (Dec 2016)
- Awarded Institute Seed Funding of Rs. 50 Lakhs for Research, SSES (2016)
- Selected as Young Investigator, Young Investigator Meeting, MIT, USA (Sep 2013)
- Review article in “Featured Five Review Collection” in Cell Stem Cell Journal (March 2013)
- Selected to participate in Advanced School of Living Mechanics, NCBS, India (Nov 2010)
- Indo-US Science & Technology Forum (IUSSTF) Postdoctoral Fellowship (Aug 2010–Dec 2013)
- Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) Research Fellowship, NUS (Aug 2009-Aug 2010)
- NUS research scholarship for PhD (Jan 2006- Aug 2010)
- PhD research proposal awarded funding (S$541,000) by BMRC to PI, NUS (2008-2010)
- Best M.Sc. dissertation, NUS, 2005
- Best poster award at Graduate Student Symposium, Singapore, 2004
- Bioprocess engineering course – Distinction, IISc, India (May 2002)
- Dr. S.P. Srinivas, Indiana University, USA
- Dr. Arghya Paul, Kansas University, USA
- Dr. Chi-Hwa Wang, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Dr. Raju K. Gupta, IIT Kanpur
- Drs. Veeresh Veerapur & Vijayakumar, SSCP, Tumkur
- Yang Z, Concannon J, Ng KS, Seyb K, Mortensen L, Ranganath SH, Gu F, Levy O, Zhao W, Glicksmen M, Karp JM. Tetrandrine identified in a small molecule screen to activate mesenchymal stem cells for enhanced immunomodulation. Scientific Reports, 2016; 6, 30263. (Impact factor: 5.228)
- Ranganath SH, Tong Z, Levy O, Martyn K, Karp JM, Inamdar MS. Controlled inhibition of the mesenchymal stromal cell pro-inflammatory secretome via microparticle engineering. Stem Cell Reports, 2016; 6, 1-14. (Impact Factor: 7.023)
- Levy O, Brennen WN, Han E, Rosen DM, Musabeyezu J, Safaee H, Ranganath S, et al. A prodrug-doped cellular Trojan Horse for the potential treatment of prostate cancer. Biomaterials 2016; 91, 140-150. (Impact Factor: 8.387)
- Fu Y, Ong LC, Ranganath SH, Zheng L, Yu S, Chow PKH, Wang CH. A dual tracer 18F-FCH/18F-FDG PET imaging of an orthotopic brain tumorxenograft model. PLoS ONE 2016;11 (2), e0148123. (Impact Factor: 3.234)
- Ranganath SH, Levy O, Inamdar MS, Karp JM. Harnessing the mesenchymal stem cell secretome for the treatment of cardiovascular disease. Cell Stem Cell 2012; 10(3): 244–258.(Impact Factor: 22.387)
- Ranganath SH, Tan AL, He F, Krantz WB, Wang CH. Control and enhancement of perm-selectivity of membrane-based microcapsules for favorable biomolecular transport and immunoisolation. AIChE Journal 2011; 57: 3052-3062.(Impact Factor: 2.98)
- Ranganath SH, Fu Y, Arifin DY, Kee I, Zheng L, Lee HS, Chow PKH, Wang CH. The use of submicron/nanoscale PLGA implants to deliver paclitaxel with enhanced pharmacokinetics and therapeutic efficacy in intracranial glioblastoma in mice. Biomaterials 2010; 31: 5199-5207.(Impact Factor: 8.387)
- CH Wang, SH Ranganath. (Editorial) Current formulations and techniques of drug/gene delivery for targeted therapy and tissue engineering. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2010; 16(21): 2296-2297.(Impact Factor: 3.052)
- Ranganath SH, Kee I, Krantz WB, Chow PKH, Wang CH. Hydrogel matrix entrapping for intracranial chemotherapy. Pharmaceutical Research 2009; 26: 2101-2114.(Impact Factor: 3.260)
- Ong BYS,Ranganath SH, Lee LY, Lu F, Lee HS, Sahinidis NV, Wang CH. Paclitaxel delivery from PLGA foams for controlled release in post-surgical chemotherapy against glioblastomamultiforme. Biomaterials2009; 30: 3189-3196.(Impact Factor: 8.387)
- Lee LY, Ranganath SH, Fu Y, Zheng JL, Lee HS, Wang CH, Smith KA. Paclitaxel release from micro-porous PLGA disks. Chemical Engineering Science 2009; 64: 4341-4349.(Impact Factor: 2.750)
- Ranganath SH, Wang CH. Biodegradable microfiber implants delivering paclitaxel for the post-surgical chemotherapy against malignant glioma. Biomaterials 2008; 29: 2996-3003.(Impact Factor: 8.387)
- Loh KC, Ranganath S. External-loop fluidized bed airlift bioreactor (EFBAB) for the cometabolic biotransformation of 4-chlorophenol (4-cp) in the presence of phenol. Chemical Engineering Science2005; 60(22): 6313-6319. (Impact Factor: 2.750)
Impact Analysis (as of 16 May 2017): Total Citations: 732, h-index: 7, i10-index: 7
- Waters RM, Maloney R, Ranganath SH, Hsieh, HY, Paul A. Nano- and microscale delivery systems for cardiovascular therapy. Microscale Technologies for Cell Engineering, 2016; 269-289.
- SP Srinivas, P Padmanabhan, R Ramya, S Mahadik, AGoyal, DP Talele, P Pavani Murthy, UB Kompella, S Ranganath, et al. Measurement of endothelial permeability to fluorescein with a spot fluorometer.Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting, Baltimore, USA (May 2017).
- AGoyal, DP Talele, P Padmanabhan, P Pavani Murthy, S Mahadik, RR Sudhir, S Ranganath, et al. Reevaulation of epithelial permeability to fluorescein by the multi-drop method. Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting, Baltimore, USA (May 2017).
- S Ranganath, Z Tong, O Levy, K Martyn, JM Karp,MS Inamdar.Non-genetic, Transient Engineering of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Secretome via Intracellular Controlled Drug Delivery. Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, USA (April 2017).
- Ranganath SH, Tong Z, Levy O, Martyn K, Karp JM, Inamdar MS. Non-genetic and transient engineering of mesenchymal stem cell secretome using intracellular, controlled drug delivery. International Conference on Biomedical Engineering(ICBME 2016), Singapore (Dec 2016).
- Nathaniel Brennen, Oren Levy, Edward Han, David Marc Rosen, Juliet Musabeyezu, HeliaSafaee, Sudhir Ranganath, et al. Attacking prostate cancer with a prodrug-doped cellular Trojan horse. American Association of Cancer Research 107th Annual Meeting 2016; New Orleans, LA, USA (April 2016).
- K Keefer, S Mahadik, A Goyal, R Ravindran, P Padmanabhan, S Rachapalli, S Ranganath, U Kompella, SP Srinivas. Measurement of corneal epithelial permeability to Fluorescein in humans by multi-drop method. Association for Research in Vision &Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting, Seattle, USA (May 2016).
- N Dey, D. Kinnera, S Sinha, S.P. Srinivas, SH Ranganath. Nanoparticle engineering of corneal endothelial cells for transplantation. International Advanced Lecture Series in Ocular Pharmacology: Recent Trends with a Focus on Nanomedicine. SIT, Tumkur, Aug 2015.
- S Kothadiya, S Shetty, M Dewang, I Lokesh, SH Ranganath. Cell membrane-derived nanocarriers for targeted drug delivery. International Advanced Lecture Series in Ocular Pharmacology: Recent Trends with a Focus on Nanomedicine. SIT, Tumkur, Aug 2015.
- S Ramakrishna, Y Wang, UB Kompella, SH Ranganath, SP Srinivas. Delivery of riboflavin into corneal stroma with and without iontophoresis. International Advanced Lecture Series in Ocular Pharmacology: Recent Trends with a Focus on Nanomedicine. SIT, Tumkur, Aug 2015.
- N Deshpande, SH Ranganath, UB Kompella, SP Srinivas. Effects of brief periods of eye closure on the dynamics of pO2 underneath a contact lens. International Advanced Lecture Series in Ocular Pharmacology: Recent Trends with a Focus on Nanomedicine. SIT, Tumkur, Aug 2015.
- S Ahuja, W Chaiyasan, P Niamprem, K Keefer, W Tiyaboonchai, SH Ranganath, UB Kompella, SP Srinivas. Penetration of hydrophilic sulforhodamine B into the cornea. International Advanced Lecture Series in Ocular Pharmacology: Recent Trends with a Focus on Nanomedicine. SIT, Tumkur, Aug 2015.
- D Kumar, R Ravindran, S Mahadik, RR Sudhir, P Padmanabhan, SH Ranganath, SP Srinivas. Measurement of tear flow rates in humans using a spot fluorometer. Advanced Lecture Series in Ocular Pharmacology: Recent Trends with a Focus on Nanomedicine. SIT, Tumkur, Aug 2015.
- Levy O, Brennen N, Ranganath SH, Han E, Ngai J, Rosen DM, Billet S, Bhowmick N, Denmeade S, Isaacs J and Karp JM.Mesenchymal stromal cells as a cellular delivery platform of prostate cancer prodrugs. Society of Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, USA, April 2014.
- Brennen NW*, Levy O*, Ranganath SH*, Schweizer M, Rosen DM, Billet S, Bhowmick N, Denmeade S, Karp JM, and Isaacs J. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) as a cell-based delivery vector for PSA-activated prodrugs to sites of prostate cancer. American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) Annual Meeting, San Diego, USA, April 2014.
- SH Ranganath. Micro/nano-structures enabling chemotherapy & stem cell phenotype control. Young Investigator Meeting, MIT, Cambridge, USA, September 2013.
- SH Ranganath, JM Karp, Inamdar MS.8thIndo-Australian Biotechnology Conference on Stem Cell Biology, Bangalore, India, December 2011. – poster presentation.
- SH Ranganath, Y Fu, DY Arifin, Kee I, Zheng L, Lee HS, Chow PKH, Wang CH. Micro/nano-structured implants delivering paclitaxel: Enhanced pharmacokinetics and therapeutic efficacy in treating intracranial glioblastoma in mice. CRS Annual meeting 2010, Portland, USA, July 2010.- podium presentation.
- SH Ranganath, AL Tan, F He, Krantz WB, Wang CH. Bio-molecular mass transport across alginate microcapsules with genipin-chitosan membrane shell: Implications for micro-bioreactor based protein delivery. CRS Annual meeting 2010, Portland, USA, July 2010. – poster presentation.
- SH Ranganath, A Yang, WB Krantz, CH Wang. Implantable hydrogel beads entrapping PLGA-paclitaxel microspheres: Exploring the effects of near-zero order drug release for intracranial chemotherapy. AIChE Annual Meeting, Philadelphia PA, USA, 16-21 November 2008. – podium presentation.
- SH Ranganath, CH Wang. Local intracranial drug delivery using biodegradable PLGA-paclitaxel micro/nano-fiber implants to treat malignant brain tumors. AIChE Annual Meeting, Philadelphia PA, USA, 16-21 November 2008. – podium presentation.
- SH Ranganath, WB Krantz, CH Wang. In vitro efficacy of implantable hydrogel beads entrapping PLGA-paclitaxel microspheres in treating brain tumors. ChemBiotech’08 Regional Conference, Singapore, 19-20 December 2008. – poster presentation.
- KC Loh, S Ranganath. External-loop fluidized bed airlift bioreactor (EFBAB) for the co-metabolic biotransformation of 4-chlorophenol (4-cp) in the presence of phenol. 7th InternationalConference on Gas-Liquid-Solid Reactor Engineering, Strasbourg, France, 21-24 August 2005. – poster presentation.
WORKSHOP / CONFERENCE / FDP / GUEST LECTURES DELIVERED
GUEST LECTURES DELIVERED
- Invited Lecture & Resource Person at FDP on Biomaterials for Healthcare, BMSCE, Bangalore (Mar 2016)
- Invited Lecture & Resource Person at the DST-sponsored INSPIRE SCIENCE NURTURE CAMP (Dec 2016)
- Invited Lecture, Biocon Academy (Sep 2016)
- Invited Lecture on “Stem Cell-mediated Repair & Regeneration in the Eye”, International Conference on Biomedical Engineering in Ophthalmology, DSCE, Bangalore (Aug 2016)
- Invited Lecture, Faculty Development Program on Omics, MSRIT, Bangalore (July 2016)
- Plenary Talk, National Conference on Impact of Physics on Biological Sciences, SSCW, Tumkur (April 2016)
- Plenary Talk, National Seminar on Advances & Challenges in Biological Research, Kuvempu University (March 2016)
- Plenary Talk, National Seminar of Stem Cells, JSS College of Science, Mysore (March 2016)
- Keynote Address, National Science Day, SSCW, Tumkur (January 2016)
- Biotechnology Finishing School, SIT, Tumkur (December 2015)
- Invited for Panel discussion – Futuristic Approach to Alternatives: A CEFIPRA sponsored seminar on alternatives to animal testing, IIT Bombay (November 2015)
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore (March 2015)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Indore (October 2014)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar (May 2014)
- Keynote Address, DayanandaSagar College of Engineering, Bangalore University (March 2014)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (February 2014)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad (February 2014)
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (January 2014)
- Orientation to Biomedical Research for Japanese high school students, BWH, USA (April 2013)
- SIT Tumkur (December 2012)
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- COMSOL Conference, Bangalore (October 2016)
- Biology for Engineers Workshop, IIT Bombay (June 2016)
- International Winter School & Hands-on Training Programme on Nano-biotechniques (I WiSHNanoBio: 2016), IIT Roorkee (February 2016)
- COMSOL Conference, Pune (October 2015)
- Continuing Education in “Bioprocess Engineering”, IISc, Bangalore (May 2002)
- Project Engineer, Plant Engineering Construction Pte Ltd, Singapore, 2005-2006
- Process Engineer, Grasim Industries Ltd, India, 2000-2001
- Production Engineer Trainee, RS Starch & Chemicals Pvt Ltd, India, 2000
- Reviewer for the Journal of Materials Chemistry B (Publisher: Royal Society of Chemistry, London)
- Mentor under the JNCASR Summer Research Fellowship Program under Life Sciences Category (2017)
- Member of the Society for Biomaterials, USA (2017)
- Reviewer for the journal RSC Advances (Publisher: Royal Society of Chemistry, London)
- Member of the Institute of Engineers (IE), India
- Mentor under the Aquitaine-Karnataka Student Exchange Program, Indo-French Centre for Promotion of Advanced Research (2016)
- Convenor, International Advanced Lecture Series on Ocular Pharmacology, SIT (August 2015)
- Student member of Controlled Release Society, USA (2008 – 2009)
- Student member of American Institute for Chemical Engineers (AIChE), USA (2006 – 2007)
- President of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering-Graduate Students’ Association, NUS (2008-2009)
SPECIALIZED TRAINING AND SKILLS
- Micro/nano fabrication: Single and double emulsion-based particle fabrication, electrohydodynamic atomization (EHDA), electrospinning, electrospray, supercritical CO2 extraction, liposome synthesis and capping.
- Drug and cell delivery: PLGA and hydrogel based delivery of anticancer drugs, signaling pathway inhibitors and activators and pro-drugs. Hydrogel based microencapsulation and delivery of cells.
- Surface modification: Polymer-based surface modification of particles for cellular internalization, attachment and controlling permeability and drug release kinetics.
- Cell culture and tissue processing: Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Endothelial Cells, Peripheral Blood-derived Monocytes, Macrophages, Human Cardian Fibroblasts, Prostate Cancer Cell lines, Malignant Glioma Cell lines. Osteo and adipogenic differentiation of MSCs.
- Molecular biology: Sandwich ELISA, Multiplex ELISA (antibody array-based), Gel Electrophoresis, PCR, Western Blotting, Immuno-cytochemistry, Assays for cytotoxicity, apoptosis, migration and cell adhesion.
- Analytical techniques: HPLC, LC-MS/MS, GPC, GC, DLS, ICP-OES, SEM/FESEM, TEM, UV Spectrophotometry, Flow Cytometry, Optical and Confocal Microscopy.
- In vivo techniques: Intracranial and subcutaneous glioma tumor model, microPET and Luciferase imaging.
- Computational & statistical:COMSOL, MATLAB, MS Office, ORIGIN, ANOVA, student’s t test, Bonferroni ad-hoc analysis